Top 5 Super Bowls 1983 - Present

Leading up to Super Bowl XL, I figured I'd throw out my personal favorite Super Bowls since I started watching in 1983. There are plenty of other good ones over the years (X, III, and XIII) that I've seen on DVD, but I figure I'd stick with what I knew best:
1. Super Bowl XXV (Giants 20 Bills 19) - Something about this game sticks out as the best game I ever saw. Even though there was a lot of ball control in this game with Parcells, it was a tough game played by both teams, and the ending was epic with Scott Norwood missing the field goal to end the Bills' only competitive Super Bowl appearance. It was a battle for field position in this game and each team's defense, offense, and special team's unit were put to the test in this one.
2. Super Bowl XXXII (Broncos 31 Packers 24) - For one day, I rooted hard for John Elway. As a Browns' fan it was quite hard to do, but the NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls and the Packers were favored. In addition, it would of been history if Elway won it. To top it off, Elway had one of the most memorable Super Bowl moments late in the game running for a tough first down (spinning through the air in the process) to position the Broncos for a go-ahead score.
3. Super Bowl XXXVI (Patriots 20 Rams 17) - I personally didn't expect much from the Patriots in this game since the Rams were still a dominant team at the time, but they played so well against the Rams, and Tom Brady engineered the Montana-esque drive to position Adam Vinatieri for the game winner with seconds on the clock. Picture perfect ending.
4. Super Bowl XXXIV (Rams 23 Titans 16) - I personally didn't like the first half of this game. It's obvious because the Rams had a 9-0 lead at the half and it didn't get much better as the Rams took a 16-0 lead in the third quarter. What makes this game so special though is the fantastic 4th quarter. The Titans fought back for the tie late in the game, but out-of-nowhere sensation Kurt Warner hit Isaac Bruce with a long TD to put the Rams up by 7. But Steve McNair led the Titans down the field with minimal time left and missed tying the game by 1 yard as time ran out. Another legendary ending.
5. Super Bowl XXXVIII (Patriots 32 - Panthers 29) - This one narrowly beats out Super Bowl XXIII for #5 on the list because of the fact that the 4th quarter was a little bit more wild than Joe Montana's drive against the Bengals and each quarter had it's own version of a football game. Quarter 1 was a nice defensive struggle as no points were scored, but quarter 2 got interesting with some scoring. Then quarter 3 was another defensive struggle with no scoring. Then the 4th quarter exploded as 37 points were scored between the two teams as Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme both went off. It ended up with another game winning FG by Adam Vinatieri with seconds left.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home