CDub's Sports & Entertainment

Chris, from Bitterfans, opens up to you, the few, who somehow found this site.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

CD of the Day

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals – Cold Roses

I wasn’t much of a fan of alternative country music until I picked this CD up last year. I probably would have not discovered it if it wasn’t for the fact that my wife’s cousin Tony Schick had not produced this CD. From what he told me, this was the first major CD he was credited as a producer. Tony has worked as an engineer for other Ryan Adams’ Cds, and other artists such as Shawn Colvin.

So I picked up Ryan Adams’ CD Cold Roses as a favor to put a few coins in Tony’s pocket. Before I knew it, I was hooked on Ryan Adams’ music. Adams released three albums in 2005, although his latest release 29 was recorded in 2004. Being one of the most prolific artists today, one would think that Ryan would be pushing it a little bit and not producing top notch music on each album, but Cold Roses helped put that idea to rest.

Cold Roses is a return to Adams’ roots for those who know this guy’s history. Adams was once a member of the roots rockin’ band Whiskeytown that was an underground cult favorite. On Cold Roses Adams worked with his new backing band the Cardinals, that allowed him to revisit his past. The album is split into 2 CDs that could probably squeeze onto 1 CD.

Cold Roses focuses on country rock, a stripped down take on songwriting that accentuates Adams strength as a songwriter. Every song is deeply emotional and plays to all of Ryan Adams’ strengths as he signs about lost love and other personal anguish. For those looking to sit back with a beer and relax, this CD is worth a spin. Some of the highlights include: “How Do You Keep Love Alive” – A Take on a relationship that is losing its luster despite the fact that you want to keep it going, “When Will You Come Back Home” – focusing on the longing for lost love, and “Let It Ride” – An ode to putting all your problems behind you.

I recommend this CD to anyone who likes alternative rock. Using the same 10 point rating system I use for movies, I will give this one a 9 out of 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home