NBA Playoff Predictions: Second Round
Round 1 of the NBA Playoffs was unbelievable. The Cavs/Wiz and Suns/Lakers series both went down as instant classics and the other series had their share of drama as well. Round 2 is now set to start today so I’ll throw out my Conference Semi-Final predictions. I went 6-2 in the First Round with my picks. I tanked on the Nuggets pick and I was wrong about the Cavs. Let’s see how I do this time:The East:
Cavaliers vs Pistons – The Cavs 1st Round matchup against Gilbert Arenas and the Wizards was something I’ll always remember and think back on when I’m an old fart. The Cavs 2nd Round matchup against the powerhouse Detroit Pistons may just be one big forgettable nightmare. As I discussed in yesterday’s article, the Cavs need to bring their A game against the Pistons and they can’t afford to get down by double digits like they did against the Wizards. There’s less room for error against these guys. The Pistons are well rested, and are clicking on all cylinders. Meanwhile, ‘analysts’ like Charles Barkley think the Cavs are going to get manhandled by Detroit. I wish the Cavs could prove people like him wrong here, but I’m not sure if they can pull it off. The Pistons have much more than a great scorer like Arenas. They have a 4 headed scoring attack in their starting 5. They have one of the best defenses in the league. They have one of the most experienced groups in the league. This is not going to be a picnic. LeBron James is going to have to elevate his game even further here if the Cavs want to take 4. That’s going to be tough against the staunch Detroit defenders. I think LeBron can will a few games from Detroit, but that will be all she wrote for Cleveland. Winner: Pistons in 6.
Heat vs Nets – Two teams I can’t stand because of players on that team who haven’t been team players in the past (Alonzo Mourning and Vince Carter) are vying to get rings on their fingers and I don’t want to see that happen. So either way here, I’m not going to like the outcome of this series. If there is a silver lining to Detroit beating Cleveland, it will be seeing the Pistons whoop on whoever comes out of this one. This matchup, despite my bitterness towards it, could be a great one. It’s essentially a matchup of big stars as Richard Jefferson, Jason Kidd, and Vince “I’m a Pussy” Carter will try to get the better of Shaquille O’Neal and Dwayne Wade. Neither team possesses great defense, so it could be somewhat like what we saw with the Cavs and Wizards in Round 1. One team in each game could just take turns putting the other away in the final seconds. This one is going 7 games. Winner: Heat in 7.
The West:
Spurs vs Mavericks – This 2nd Round matchup has been the subject of many complaints based on the playoff setup the NBA uses since both teams were the best in the West this year. Regardless, they’re facing off now, and this one is going to be a dandy. The Mavs haven’t found a way to get over the hump in past years, and now with a better defense, they may finally have a shot to do it against a Spurs team that hasn’t looked as dominant as it has in the past. This is a golden opportunity for them and this may be the best series in the 2nd Round. I expect Dirk Nowitzki to get the better of Tim Duncan in this one as it will go 7 and the Mavericks will finally be poised for a title shot. Tim Duncan will rest his aching body and come back to destroy the league next year. Winner: Mavericks in 7.
Suns vs Clippers – I think we will have another barn burner to look out for here. This one could go either way between the two likeable teams, but I actually give the edge to the Clippers here. They have a better presence inside and that may be the determining factor. If they can somehow slow the pace down and play some half-court offense, they should be able to take care of the Suns here, although you can never count out Steve Nash. This will be a very intriguing series to watch and could swing either way based on who establishes momentum. I like Elton Brand and the Clippers. Winner: Clippers in 6.

2 Comments:
At 4:45 AM,
Anonymous said…
This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»
At 2:15 PM,
Anonymous said…
Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home