CDub's Sports & Entertainment

Chris, from Bitterfans, opens up to you, the few, who somehow found this site.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Meet the New Browns: Rounds 1-3

Kamerion Wimbley – 1st Round: DE/OLB (Florida State)
Outlook: May not see much of the field at first with Willie McGinest out there, but he is going to be McGinest’s understudy as he tries to become the pass rusher the Browns will rely on in the future.
Strengths: Quick as hell, has a good head on his shoulders, and has a good motor out there to get to the QB.
Weaknesses: Has had injury problems, isn’t always instinctful out there, and still could get stronger to help him out.
Opinion: It’s tough to gauge exactly who is going to be the stud among the close crop of defenders that went in the middle of the 1st round right now. I saw flaws with every one of them. I do applaud the Browns for trading down one spot and picking up an extra pick, but I think they could of tried to get more than a 6th rounder. Wimbley fills a major need for this team and won’t be relied upon to play right away. Learning from a guy like Willie McGinest may help him become an even better player than going to a team and starting right away. Grade: B+

D’Qwell Jackson – 2nd Round: ILB (Maryland)
Outlook: May compete right away for a spot on the Browns LB corps playing at ILB next to Andra Davis. He’s got a wide open opportunity to win this spot so he’s in a good situation here. Strengths: Quick, Smart, good tackler, and has great instincts.
Weaknesses: Is a little under sized and can be pushed around a bit when mixing it up with blockers.
Opinion: Without giving up future picks (just Jeff Faine), the Browns managed to move up 9 spots to select Jackson who could end up being one of the best Inside Backers to come out of the draft. Jackson fits in well with the 3-4 after playing in it at Maryland. Jackson could really benefit playing next to Andra Davis, and he could be a huge upgrade over departed Ben Taylor instantly. Grade: A

Travis Wilson – 3rd Round: WR (Oklahoma)
Outlook: Will compete with players like Frisman Jackson and Brandon Rideau for the 4th spot in the rotation, which will actually end up being the 3rd spot to start the season (Braylon Edwards will be re-habbing). Since he’s young, he’ll probably sit behind a guy like Jackson in this case. He probably needs more coaching at this level.
Strengths: Has good hands, plays tough, and is a quick receiver out there who can go over the middle and play scrappy out there. He’s also young…just turning 21.
Weaknesses: Despite his competitiveness, he isn’t a game breaker or a consistent pass catcher at this point. He’s also criticized for his stiffness and upright route running.
Opinion: I’m a little taken back by this one. I saw better players here on the board that I would take. I would of considered Jerious Norwood at this spot (the speedy RB from Mississippi State), or Derek Hagan at WR, if I wanted to select an offensive skill position. Unless they liken Wilson’s mindset, his potential and his similarities to Joe Jurevicious, I don’t get this one. Did Butch Davis call this one into Phil? Grade: C-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall opinion: Both LBs are high motor players with great personalities and work ethics. Great additions to a defense that needs more top notch young talent. Ted Washington still needs his student though. Can the Browns get by with Ethan Kelley being that guy? Probably not. I doubt they’ll get out of the next few rounds without addressing this. Addressing WR by taking Travis Wilson is really puzzling right now. I'm very disappointed with that pick, and it will be a wait and see with that guy.

Need update: At this point, we can take the Browns’ 4th need, WR, off the list along with the LB spots. They can’t afford to dabble at these positions much with the other needs out there now:
1. Nose Tackle
2. RB
3. OL
4. S

1 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Hornless Rhino said…

    I hadn't focused on Jackson as Taylor's replacement. You're right, he's a major upgrade.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home